Simcoe and District Humane Society's Response to COVID-19
UPDATE MARCH 19, 2020
To our Valued Adopters, Donors, Clients, Those who find animals and Volunteers,
At Simcoe and District Humane Society, the safety and well-being our Adopters, Donors, Visitors, Volunteers, Staff and Animals is always our top priority. Rest assured that we are actively monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and are taking precautionary measures to help keep our communities safe. As an essential service to our people and animals, we are committed to implementing best practices to prevent the spread of disease so that we can be there to help when you need us.
To help with prevention, we are taking the following precautionary measures to protect all people and animals:
- Providing our Team Members with an ample supply of:
- hand sanitizers
- disinfectant wipes
- single-use gloves
- boot covers
- Aprons or gowns
- We will be closing the shelter to visitors during this critical period due to the difficulty in acquiring these supplies as human medical facilities are priority to have these supplies in this critical period.
- We will be performing additional sanitation protocols in and around the shelter
We will still be helping animals, Please see instructions below
- We will not be taking surrenders unless it is an urgent request - Non-urgent surrenders please fill in our intake form and we will contact you when there is room
- We ask that if you are thinking about adoption please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For those interested in adoption visit www.petango.com/SimcoeDHumane for pets available.
- As instructed below, we will meet you outside BUT we still ask you to keep recommended safe social distance, sanitize your hands. We will not be shaking hands with customers, as suggested by the Public Health Agency of Canada
- Any Team Member who has flu like symptoms will be asked to contact the Public Health Agency and follow the COVID-19 testing protocol, including self-isolation where required
- Staying up to date on Public Health Agency of Canada updates and following all guidance
Currently, we are closed to the public to protect our volunteers and be able to continue care for the animals in care.
WE WILL STILL HELP THE ANIMALS IN CRITICAL NEED!
Even though we will meet you outside the shelter please keep recommended safe social distance, sanitize your hands. We will not be shaking hands with customers, as suggested by the Public Health Agency of Canada
If you find a sick, injured, orphaned animal please:
- Call 519-428-9161 press 2 for our volunteer on call.
- Please DO NOT use this number to report a stray animal, a raccoon wandering about (it’s spring and mom could be foraging food)
- You will be asked to drive the injured animal to a vet clinic (after hours it may be the Emergency Clinic in Brantford)
- If the animal is sick you will be asked to bring the animal to the shelter
- When you arrive, please call 519-428-9161 press 1
- We need your information (Name, address, phone, email and where you found the animal(s)
- We will take the animal from your vehicle respecting the Social Distancing rules
- If you brought your own carrier, we will return you carrier to the outside of your vehicle
If you find a stray cat or other domestic pet, we will ask if you can keep it secure while we go through this period.
If you need supplies, arrangements will be made by phone call 519-428-2287 leave a message.
- We will supply food, bowls, cages, litter (we may ask you to pick up), and whatever you need to care for the animal(s)
If you find a stray dog, please contain it and call Hillside Kennels 519-469-3247 (this includes sick/injured/orphaned)
Orphaned wildlife Call BryDen’s Den 519-429-3585
We will be open from Monday and Saturday 11:00 am- 3:00 pm
- For those who want to
- make a donation,
- pick up their pet’s Royal Canin Food, or
- Foster Homes to pick up supplies.
Please order the food you need Monday 11am – 3pm by calling 519-428-9161 press 1
- You will need to pay by Visa or MasterCard over the phone
Your order will be available for pick up Saturday 11am – 3pm.
- When you arrive at the shelter, please call 519-428-9161 press 1 to let us know you are there.
- Volunteers will bring your order to your vehicle respecting the Social Distancing rules.
WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING CASH AT THIS TIME!
Thank you for understanding our concerns and for your cooperation as we try to be diligent with cleaning, sanitizing, and helping the animals while doing our part to help stop the spread of this disease.
Your Health and Safety and the health of our volunteers, staff, animals and other visitors is our top priority.
Please take care and stay healthy!
If you need food or want to make a financial donation, Please Call Ahead! The office will be open Monday and Saturday ONLY 11am - 3pm.
Ways to donate:
- Online visit a link on our website www.SimcoeDHumane.ca
- through paypal - www.paypal.me/sdhs
- e-transfer email@example.com
- Make a phone call with visa or mastercard 519-428-9161
The Public Health Agency of Canada recommends that we all take the following everyday precautionary measures to help prevent the spread of germs and viruses:
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Cover your mouth and nose with your arm when coughing and sneezing
- Avoid all non-essential travel
We will still help the animals in need and still need your financial donations to help the animals!
Supplies such as masks, alcohol, hand sanitizer, Paper Towel would be greatly appreciated.
WE DO NEED YOUR FINANCIAL DONATIONS
- We have many cats, puppies, bunnies in care. We will not stop helping animals in need.
- We have stocked up on food, litter, hay, bedding to get us through the next 4 weeks AND as always have been medically treating the sick and injured, spaying/neutering, treating for fleas and internal parasites, and more.
- We will not be taking blankets, towels, cloths during this period.
- We have also postponed March/April fundraising events to protect those who would be participating.
- One of our next events will be our June Yard and Plant sale. Date will be determined.
Thank you for doing your part to help keep our communities safe, and for supporting one another as we navigate through this difficult time together.
SAFETY FOR ALL ANIMALS:
Many sanitizing wipes, sprays, chemicals can be toxic to animals. Please read the label before use visit
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/poisonous-household-products if you suspect your pet got into something. Bleach, Lysol, Pinesol, Ammonia, and more can harm your pet!
If your pet is not well call your vet Immediately!
Facts about the COVID-19 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
© Copyright Simcoe and District Humane Society